By most accounts, we’re still weeks away (months?) from President Obama’s decision on the highly controversial Keystone XL pipeline. You know, the huge environmental boondoggle that will:
1. Create virtually NO longterm jobs for Americans; only 35 perm jobs is estimated.
2. NOT lower U.S. demand for oil;
3. NOT lower the price of gas for Americans;
4. Use the US merely as an easement for the dirtiest oil EVER to pass from Canada’s once-pristine Boreal Forest to the Gulf Coast refineries.
5. Be sure to be a climate carbon time bomb.
Read this story:
Yes, the project Bill McKibbon of 350.org has said would be “game over” for climate change if this is approved because by TransCanada’s OWN assessment, this pipeline is necessary for expansion of the tar sands operations. (Alternatively, if no pipeline, then no expansion and the tar sands remains safely in the ground).
Well, although we’ve tried to read the tea leaves (see my earlier posts), we’re getting signs that Obama WILL approve it, after bowing to his OTHER constituents, the business, corporate and fossil fuel interests, not to mention the short-sighted Republicans (virtually everybody but us nettlesome environmentalists who are only trying to save the planet!).
This from the Guardian UK:
“White House officials … gave strong indications the President is inclined to approve the Keystone XL pipeline.”
Perhaps Obama is cleverly using this “give” in return for something “bigger” to fight climate change, like a carbon tax, a nuclear fusion-like miracle that could solve many of our problems, such as lower the debt, foster green energy, and reduce carbon emissions. We hope he knows what he’s doing, because right now this just looks like a wussy sellout to fossil fuel interests by a wimpy corporatist who doesn’t walk his talk on combatting climate change.
UPDATED 4/25/2013: Please see my updates here: https://gettingonmysoapbox.wordpress.com/2013/04/18/reuters-debunks-keystone-xl-pipeline-myth-that-tar-sands-will-be-developed-anyway/
- New York Times urges Obama to reject Keystone XL pipeline (canadapetrostate.wordpress.com)
- Obama: Keystone XL pipeline not major jobs creator (cnsnews.com)
- Keystone XL Pipeline: The fuse of a carbon bomb (coolrevolution.net)
- Keystone XL pipeline not good for Canada, opposition leader suggests (guardian.co.uk)
- Can Tar Sands Development Continue Without Keystone XL? (theenergycollective.com)