- Picture of Rainforest Devastation from Palm Oil courtesy of Borneo Flickr Rainforest Action Network
If you care, if you have a heart, if you love the beautiful creatures and their rainforest home, you must sign this petition. It will help convince the EPA to NOT include palm oil in their biofuel standards. (Even the European Union has recanted on their inclusion of it in their standards.) The EPA has already ruled against palm oil earlier this year, but they’re getting heavy lobbying from the interested parties (obviously). Stand up to the palm oil industry — and their Washington based lobbyists, Wilmar, and Holland & Knight (see my earlier posts on this subject).
A favorable ruling will kill what’s left of the forests.
Here’s the Link:
- Action Alert: Stop Rainforest-killing NAFTA on steroids! (climate-connections.org)
- The General Mills Response on Palm Oil (gettingonmysoapbox.wordpress.com)
- Burned orangutan dies as result of increasing palm oil demand (greenerideal.com)
- Cargill Admits Buying Palm Oil from Illegally Cleared Orangutan Habitat (understory.ran.org)
- Cargill Admits Buying Palm Oil from Illegally Cleared Orangutan Habitat | RAN (endoftheicons.wordpress.com)
- Palm Oil Groups Retain Holland & Knight to Lobby EPA on Biofuels (legaltimes.typepad.com)
- Palm Oil Declines for a Fifth Day as Stockpiles Jump in Malaysia – Bloomberg (bloomberg.com)