Here’s my quarterly (or monthly…or daily…) reminder to stop using unsustainable palm oil. Palm oil demand leads to the 4 Ds — deforestation, destruction (of habitat), death (of critically endangered species, like the orangutan), and displacement (of indigenous human forest inhabitants), not to mention an absolutely insane increase of global warming gases into the atmosphere (these forests are carbon sinks).
Here’s a potent graphic I found from somebody who posted it in protest (a man after my own heart) on palmoil.com’s Facebook page (a pro-palm oil site, if you can believe that) that gives some info on how to avoid it. (Not sure who to credit for this graphic but it’s certainly due him/her.)
(I swear, this heartbreaking photo of what was once probably a majestic, intelligent and proud orang — and what its Indonesian home has now become — is enough to make me hate mankind forever.)
But remember: if you boycott companies that use unsustainable palm oil you have to write a quick email INFORMING THEM, or it’s all for not, right?(!). I post the bullshit corporate replies I get on this blog. Sometimes they’re meaningful (Trader Joe’s and Unilever are trying mightily). Sometimes they’re just corporate double-speak and excuses (Pfizer).
- How does eating local help orangutans? (theselightfootsteps.com)
- Rain forest ‘can’t wait for firms to switch to sustainable palm oil’ (prweb.com)
- How a U.S. Company Is Breaking Laws and Grabbing Land in Africa (alternet.org)
- GreenPalm Trades its Millionth Certificate (prweb.com)
- How To Avert An RSPO Collapse (understory.ran.org)